Sunday, October 28, 2012

No Such Thing as a First Impression Redo

I decided shortly after starting this online dating experience that most guys really don't have a clue on how to pick up on a girl.  Sure there are a few out there that are exempt from this (and should be available for consultation), but most just don't get it.  There are three very important things to catch our attention and get s to message you - your photos, your screen name and your first message sent to us.  Here are a few things I have observed lately:

PHOTOS

This is the most important thing you are putting online - it's the first thing we see and come on, looks are what draw us all in initially to you.  How are we supposed to find out that you are a neurosurgeon if you have posted an unflattering photo? There are a few rules that guys should be aware of before posting their mug:
  •  Photos taken in a bathroom mirror where you can see all your shit on the sink or even the toilet, really should be avoided.  I don't care how pretty you are - it just has a major ick factor! Either learn how to crop your photo or get someone else to take it!
  • As much as I would like to gawk at your chiseled abs, putting that up as your main photo just shouts out "man whore." You bet I will click on your photo and check you out, but I will be slightly leery of you and what your motives are.
  • We need to see your FACE! Of course I want to see a full body shot, but when you don't post a very good one of your face, it's really hard to make a fair assessment.  I'd hate to judge you unfairly due to a grainy, unclear photo.
  • Photos with other girls is NO BUENO.  Do you really think you are going to pick up other girls when you have photos posted with other ones? At least have the decency to post that it is your sister, otherwise you could be overlooked quite quickly.  Oh, and if you have one posted of you and a kid - you MUST specify if it is yours or not!  
  • Have more than one.  Granted, I don't need to spend 10 minutes going through all of them, but at least three would be nice. 
Maybe I should open up a side business to take candid photos for guys dating online - looks like it could be a pretty good money maker from what I have been seeing lately!


SCREEN NAMES

Along with the profile photo, your screen name is another thing that jumps out at us early on.  I know it's not easy to put together something that is both creative and catchy, but some sort of effort should be put into it and someone else really should proof it for you before you commit yourself to it!

Examples of ones that make me roll my eyes - talk about full of yourself!
  • GymPlaya
  • AZhot36
  • attractiveguy30
  • topshelf-lover
  • Ais4Awesome
  • Shecallzmepapi
I can't believe that some girls fall for guys with screen names like that! Of course I always check out their profiles and then get a good laugh out of how conceited some them are.  Guess it keeps things interesting!


PICK-UP LINES

For me, this is by far the most important piece of the puzzle if you want me to respond back to you.  It's like the 4th and 2 decision to go for it or punt it - it can MAKE OR BREAK YOU!  Be funny and original, but not to the point of weirdness where I want to block you from all existence.  I don't need a novel the first go round, but just saying "hi" is pathetic and I don't care how gorgeous you are, if that is all you got, you will get a big ole delete from me! and probably the most important thing, read my damn profile so you can prevent yourself from putting your foot in your mouth straight out of the gate.  Mine lists that I am a Packers fan and there is a photo of me in a Rodgers jersey - if you ask me who my team is (and idiots have), you will not get anything back from me (even though I want to be a smart ass back to you SO badly)!

Once I start chatting with someone, I bust out my make or break question, which I think everyone should have one.  Before I give my name or my number out, all guys must answer - Coke or Pepsi?  And yes, there is a difference and I have weeded out a few thanks to this unique question.  The best answer to this by far came from dear old Chicago, which could be why he is still in the running! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment