Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Look What the Wind Blew In

My latest date was with a guy that we'll just call Chicago.  Now, being a Packers fan makes it EXTREMELY difficult to go anywhere with a Bears fan - it's just not a natural pairing!  Lucky for him, the Bears were playing the Cowboys last night, and I somehow despise them even more than the Bears! In the spirit of putting differences aside, we agreed that we would only talk about the game at hand.  And without missing a beat, our server arrived to take our drink order, wearing a Clay Matthews jersey! The look on his face was priceless and I seriously thought he might ask to sit at another table.  Thankfully, he was a good sport and only managed to give her the stink eye every time she walked away.

I can honestly say that I haven't laughed that much in one night, in quite some time.  This guy definitely has the knack for humor and his comedic timing is pretty incredible. I think I even surprised him a few times with the one-liners I threw out there from time to time.  And if you know me, you know that I have no problem holding, and often dominating a conversation - Chicago can not only hold his own, he even put me to shame at times!  So I will apologize now to anyone who might get suckered into a double date with he and I....you will most likely be an observer to our conversation, so start practicing your "smile and nod" technique.

One of the best things about Chicago is that he's a pretty impressive athlete, but not in the "I lift weights and like to stare at myself in the mirror" kind of way.  He's into running, biking and loves to hike with his dog Meeka.  I'm envious of some of the races he has done here and in Chicago, so it gave us a lot to talk about. Who knows, maybe I will go out on a limb and take a run with him one of these days.

We talked about everything from his love of horror movies and zombie killings to our families and how we both ended up in Arizona.  It was all going well until my "security detail" text me to check in for the night......

.....now Chicago is a natural comedian and did stand-up and improv back in college, so he felt it necessary to "help" in responding back to my security detail (which really is just my two closest friends watching out for me, which I am SO thankful for).  I had started out responding earlier in the night that things were going well.  It was not MY fault that he changed my story:

Me: Okay, you might have to save me
SD: Why?!
SD: What?!
SD: Hello?!

Apparently, I had paused too long after my text....

Me: You don't even want to know
SD: Do I have to come get you?
SD: Are you home yet? Or Still at Zipps

Me: Neither (which was a TOTAL lie - I had not left the bar yet)
SD: His place?!?!?!?
SD: What do you mean "save you?" Hello?!?!?!

After that, the texts to her were about the food and other random observations, at which point, I got a phone call from the second member of my SD (her phone is archaic and takes FOREVER to respond back to text messages).  After convincing her that things were good, I was still at the bar and was going home soon, it was determined that I would be on Starbucks detail the rest of the week in hopes of ensuring my survival from the ass kicking coming from them the following morning.  I will probably be apologizing to my friends for a while on this one. Haha

Even though he got me in deep shit with my SD, Chicago definitely has potential......good thing we have a second date in the works :)   

1 comment: